Weddings Engagements Lifestyle Bands Photography Slideshows My Life
My Twitter My Facebook



A wedding and lifestyle portrait photographer based in sunny Southern California. Welcome to my blog, where I share my most recent projects and adventurous life behind the lens. To view my wedding portfolio, simply scroll over the categories link above then click on the wedding label. Email me for inquiries, questions, or coffee dates...wink wink.





Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fast Lenses

I love people. I love photography. And I love helping people who love photography.

Over the holiday weekend, while shooting at a concert, I met some really nice photographers at random. And I was asked the same common question...how do I shoot in low light without using a flash? I said, I use fast lenses. Or wide apertures, I wouldn't want to use anything slower.

So, I thought it would be most helpful to post some images of my lens lineup, since I would have been grateful to anyone who did the same for me when I was trying to decide what Canon lenses to purchase.

70-200mm f/2.8 L IS

This lens is an industry standard for concerts, theatre, low light wedding ceremonies from the back of the church, and photo journalism, from a distance. It's my favorite lens!


24-70mm f/2.8 L

This was my first lens, and although I use it less often as before, it is still a reliable and standard all around lens. It's mid focal range is good for groups, portraits, and travel.


16-35mm II f/2.8 L

The super wide lens. My recent purchase. I call this my editorial lens, good for storytelling and documenting places or events all in one frame.

50mm f/1.4

This lens is a fixed focal length or prime lens. Another industry standard with it's focal length at 50mm. I use this lens the most because it is faster than all of my lenses with an aperture of 1.4, and it's as sharp as it is fast! As much as I LOVE this lens, I can't wait to upgrade to the 50 1.2!


Happy Tuesday!

5 comments:

rowena said...

Saweet set-up! Just need a macro now for those ring shots.... lol... I'm projecting. It's all Melissa K's fault– my own shootsac is getting heavier and heavier.

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

mmm...lenses. my shootsac is morbidly obese :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing! So helpful for people like me who are trying to build up our arsenal of lenses!!

Nat said...

I LOVE the 50 1.4! If you get the 50 1.2...would you let little ol' me try it out? Pretty please? :P

Anonymous said...

I just added the 50mm f/1.4 and have loved it!